Small Business SEO services are one of the most important skills to master if you want to be successful online. Search engine optimisation is a constant process. With time and patience, you can learn what works best for your website to be successful.
* For the record, there are no affiliate links in this post. All recommendations are based on my own experiences or feedback from others.
Did you know research states Google’s number 1 position for organic search engine results returns a click-through rate of approximately 28%? Imagine if that were your business?
“Are you doing the same thing over and over? I would expect if you continued you will achieve the same results if not lesser.” Mat Walker – Lead SEO
I’m honoured you have made a great decision to read this blog post. I want to teach you how to create an effective Small Business SEO strategy. By following these steps below, you’ll break the repetition cycle that returns the same if not lesser results. These results I’m about to teach you will transform your small business’s website for SEO in 2022.
When it comes to Small Business SEO there is so much to learn. If there is so much to learn then I want, you to remember everything about this blog post.
With that said, before we proceed, I have a little warm-up we can do together. It would be great if you could participate with me.
OK, follow these simple steps below:
First Step: Hold your right arm and shake your hand. Shake it around and around for about 15 seconds. At the same time, wiggle your right arm a little. After 15 seconds, let your right hand and arm relax and come to a stop.
Second Step: Slowly bring your right hand in and place it on your chin, like in the image below.
Third Step: Scroll to the very bottom to read the Final Step for the next step of this activity. After you have read the final step below come straight back to the top of this post. Once finished continue reading below.
START BACK HERE AGAIN.
Thanks for participating in the activity. Now for the fun part.
Did you place your hand on your cheek like the person above, or did you participate correctly and place it on your chin? I asked for you to place your hand on your chin. Well done if you did, you’re an extremely focused person. Most people don’t listen or read correctly, they follow others, I know I did it wrong the first time. 🙂
Either way, it was a fun activity to make sure I had your attention. I want you to remember everything in this blog post. If you do and only action one of the steps below, I promise you will start to see success in your SEO efforts. Keep reading until the end for my recommendations.
Now you should be ready to absorb everything about this post on helping Small Businesses achieve higher rankings with SEO in 2022.
Small Business SEO or search engine optimization
This is one of the most important skills to master if you want to be successful online. Search engine optimisation is a constant process. With time and patience, you can learn what works best for your website to be successful.</>
These are some regular questions our small business clients ask about SEO.
I have provided a brief answer next to each:
Client Question: Where do I start with SEO?
Answer: Apply some of these steps below and I promise you will start to see a change in your SEO. It is exactly what we do for our SEO services.
Client Question: Isn’t SEO confusing?
Answer: No, you just need to follow a monthly checklist of tasks. Lock those tasks into your calendar, and you’ll be on your way to achieving higher rankings through SEO. If you want enter your email midway down on our homepage and you will receive a copy of our small business SEO checklist. If you still find it confusing, think about outsourcing the technical components of SEO services. Better still grab one of these affordable SEO services, here. This is a once-off special.
Client Question: Where can I find the time to do SEO?
Answer: Do you want more sales through Google organic search results? If you answered yes, I would strongly recommend finding a way. The rewards from SEO can far outweigh any advertising campaign. I have always said that if you can nail SEO, you can crush your competition in Google Ads. Reinvest your returns from SEO by outbidding your competitors. If it were meant to be easy everyone would be doing it. I can show you how, book a discovery session or grab one of our special actionable SEO audits. Our actionable SEO audit will give you enough to strategise a new forward with SEO. Our small business SEO services aim to set you up with a strategy to outrank your competitors.
Question: Isn’t Local or National SEO expensive?
Answer: Yes and No. It all depends on whether you run a local or national campaign. Whether your niche is competitive can also have a significant impact on cost. For example, law industries are extremely competitive, whereas a hairdresser salon might not be. SEO can be expensive because it requires a lot of time and money. However, SEO does not have to be a complete and total blowout of your budget. In fact, you can do a few things to make your small business SEO services more affordable. Keep reading and ill teach you how.
These are just a few of the questions we hear small business owners ask about SEO.
As a small business owner, you’re usually the person making all the decisions. This can be hard because at times it feels lonely. That’s why I pulled together 5 of the best SEO tips for small businesses to rank in 2022.
SEO is an ever-changing industry and one that you can’t really predict or for that matter ignore. However, you can make it easier for your business to grow with these simple and easy small business SEO tips.
I’m sure you have a website or blog. Do you have a small business local SEO services strategy?
To rank on Google or any search engines for that matter, you need to have content that’s both useful to visitors and Google crawlers. If you’re writing in a niche where you don’t have much competition, you might just be able to make a small business blog work for you. You could use it as a platform for your products and services. But, if you’re a small business in a competitive industry, you need to start thinking about search engine optimisation (SEO).
Small businesses have always struggled with maintaining visibility on search engine results pages (SERPs) because they have fewer resources to devote to SEO. But now, with Google’s algorithmic changes, small business owners need to be more strategic and implement better SEO tactics and strategies.
Did you know Sistrix reported the top 5 organic positions in Google returns a click-through rate (CTR) of:
- Position 1 – 28% CTR
- Position 2 – 15% CTR
- Position 3 – 11% CTR
- Position 4 – 8% CTR
- Position 5 – 7% CTR
You’ll be lucky if your small business Google Ads receives a CTR of more than 2.5%, which is the average. Who wouldn’t want the above results for free organic search results? I know we would.
This brings me back to why you are here to learn how to grow your website traffic with 5 of the Best Tips for Small business SEO in 2022.
1. Start with Google Analytics and Google Search Console
When setting up your Google Analytics and Google Search Console it should be at the top of your priority list. Google Search Console was previously referred to as Google webmaster console. Google Analytics is a free web analytics tool. Both can help you measure your small business SEO traffic and understand where your users visit after searching for your website.
Google Analytics’ new reporting Image: Google
Google Search Console. Image: Google
If you already have Google Analytics set up, use it to help identify the keywords driving traffic to your website, and then build out your content strategy around those keywords. This will allow you to focus on a particular keyword or set of keywords. You can also use Google Search Console to help identify the keywords that are bringing traffic to your site. When people search for a specific topic, Google shows the results from different sites in a list. This list includes both the first page of results and other sites that rank higher than yours on that topic. Learn more about Search Console Google here.
If you aren’t keen on sending your data to Google and would prefer it private, try these alternatives:
- Matomo says they are a ”Google Analytics alternative that protects your data and your customer’s privacy.” You can use their software for free on a standalone hosting server. You can pay $31aud a month for their cloud option.
- Plausible – They say they are a ”Simple and privacy-friendly Google Analytics alternative.” Price is very cheap starting from $6usd a month up to $150 per month.
- Mixpanel – They say they ”Build Better Products. Powerful, self-serve product analytics to help you convert, engage, and retain more users.” Pricing starts from free to $25usd per month.
- Clicky – They say ”Real-time Web Analytics. More than one million websites depend on Clicky to monitor, analyze, and react to their traffic in real-time.” Pricing starts from free to $19usd per month.
Image: Top left Matomo, Top right Mixpanel, Bottom left Plausible, Bottom right Clicky
In the end, there is no question you need to use one of the analytics automation tools above. Without it, I doubt you will succeed with your SEO in 2022.
2. Pick Relevant Keywords
When trying to improve your on-page SEO, pick relevant keywords matching your user’s online search and business. One of the most important lessons in SEO is to ensure you’re writing about what your audience is searching for. If you’re not, you won’t receive the traffic. And if you can’t figure out what your audience is looking for, you’ll need to do some research. The first step is to look at what people are searching for when they visit your site. Once you know what your audience is looking for, you’ll be able to make more informed decisions about what content to create and where to place it on your website.
When choosing the correct keywords, focus on these 4 steps:
- Research the search volume or demand a keyword returns from a search engine like Google.
- Research the search traffic a potential keyword has for your selected topic.
- Analyse what businesses are paying on Google Ads for a Cost per click (CPC). The higher the costs can mean those keywords are profitable to that business.
- Research the business potential a keyword has for your business. Would the keyword you are targeting encourage a sale? I have provided 4 keyword search scenarios below. I have assigned a dollar sign next to each keyword’s potential. The higher the value of the business, the more dollar signs. See these keyword scenarios for a hairdresser shop.
Keyword: How can I cut hair – I will assign one $
Keyword: Best hairdressers – I will assign two $$
Keyword: Hairdresser/s appointment near me – I will assign three $$$
Keyword: Funniest hairdresser movies – I will assign zero-dollar signs
This could be my starting base for keyword research and my focus would be on the keyword ‘Hairdresser/s appointment near me.
Seranking discusses reasons, why keyword analyses, are important. Read about it here.
9 reasons why you should apply keyword research to an SEO strategy:
- Creating and improving SEO site structure
- Understanding target audience interests (user intent)
- Searching for useful content ideas
- Writing titles, descriptions, h1-h6 headings
- Optimizing images
- Selecting anchor texts for internal and external links
- Creating a keyword list for SERP rank tracking
- Targeting contextual and banner advertising
- Setting up chatbots, providing answers to user questions
Google Video on Keyword Research Image: Youtube
If you still aren’t convinced watch this Google video. They are quoted as saying ”choosing keywords is the foundation of successful search engine optimisation.”
You should now be convinced that keyword research is an important part of any SEO strategy.
Go for it, start small and create a keyword strategy for 25 keywords. Try to group the keywords into clusters, it will make it easy to optimise content.
Finally, try this website for keyword research Answerthepublic It helps you get instant, raw search insights, direct from the minds of your customers. If you are looking for content ideas, then try Answerthepublic.
3. Optimise your existing Content
Go back to old posts and optimise your content. Update the dates, add more information to your posts and submit your post to Google Search. If you’re lucky Google might index your page.
Consider optimising these areas of content:
- Optimise Page Titles and Headings.
- Optimise Your Images.
- Optimise your old Content.
- Write for Humans not search engines.
It’s one thing to write a great blog post, but it’s another thing to ensure that your content is optimised for search. Google is the undisputed king of search, and it will serve up content that matches its users’ search intent. So, it’s important to keep this in mind when writing blog posts. Google knows what keywords you should focus on to get your content found. You must use the right keywords to ensure your content is indexed and searchable. Use the keywords that fit your business and don’t write for search engines, write for your customers.
4. SEO Website Auditors
There are so many affordable options out there that really, we have no excuse not to be monitoring our website. These automation tools not only pick up on errors but they can save you a tonne of time as most of these tools can be automated.
SEO Automation Tools
- Seranking.com– This is the software we use for keyword research, website audits, marketing strategy and more. Seranking says ”Every SEO analysis and marketing tool you need onboard.” Pricing starts from $18usd per month to $151usd per month.
- Neilpatel.com – Ubersuggest is a very affordable and acceptable option for small businesses. Ubersuggest says ”Want more traffic? Ubersuggest shows you how to win the game of SEO. Just type in a domain or a keyword to get started.” Prices start as low as $29aud per month, or you can even buy an unlimited plan for $490. You heard right, no monthly fees.
Free Website Audit Analyse
If you’re looking for free website audit tools, try these options. I would strongly suggest using either Seranking or Ubersuggest as a compliment, the free tools can only do so much.
- Web.dev – A product by the Google Development team. They say ”Measure page quality. Test your pages in a lab environment powered by PageSpeed Insights. Then get tips and recommendations to improve your user experience. For field performance, see the PageSpeed Insights tool.”
- PageSpeed Insights – Another product by the Google Development Team. They say ”Make your web pages fast on all devices.”
Google PageSpeed Insights Image: Google
- GTmetrix – They say ”How fast does your website load? Find out with GTmetrix. See how your site performs, reveal why it’s slow and discover optimization opportunities.”
Image: GTmetrix Raw example of website scan
- Pingdom – They say ”Pingdom Website Speed Test Enter a URL to test the page load time, analyze it, and find bottlenecks.
Website Homepage of Tool Pingdom
5. Use AI Tools to Optimise existing and new content
The below paragraph was written with Closerscopy and the one below that is my edited version. This was the very first content it generated, with no second or third attempts.
Today, we live in a digital world where the most important thing to a brand is to stand out from the crowd. Content marketing is the way to do this. However, the most important thing to do to get the best results is to use AI tools to optimise existing and new content. AI tools help businesses increase conversions, engage consumers, create better content, and much more.
Today, we live in an ever-so-fast digital world. Where the most important thing to a brand is to stand out from the crowd. Content marketing is the most powerful way to do this. However, using AI content writing tools is the most important aspect of standing out from your competitors. You can use them to optimise existing and new content. AI tools help businesses increase conversions, engage consumers, create better content, and most importantly allow you to create more quality content.
I have provided a list of the best AI tools. They either do it all or they write content with GPT-3 or optimise content, taking all the guesswork out of ranking high on Google.
AI Content Creation and Optimisation Tools for SEO
These are some of the ways that Artificial Intelligence can be used:
- Content Creation and Optimisation of old Content
- Social Media Marketing Content Creation
- Advertising Content Optimisation
- Keyword Optimisation and Creation
and a lot more…
The best AI tools that do a bit of everything:
- SurferSEO.com – This is one of my favourites. I personally use Surfers. They say ”Rank Your Content With the Power of A.I. Rise to the 1st page of Google with less than 30 minutes of Surfer optimization.” Prices start from an affordable $49usd per month to a not so affordable $199usd per month.
Image: Surferseo.com Homepage
- Frase.io – Frase say they ”Better Content, Faster. Frase AI helps you research, write, and optimize high-quality SEO content in minutes instead of hours.” Prices start from $45usd per month and $114usd per month.
- Clearscope.io – Clearscope says they ”Content drives more traffic with Clearscope. Our AI-powered platform makes it ridiculously easy to get more out of your content.” Prices start from an expensive $170usd per month to $350usd per month.
- Outranking.io – Outranking is a bit cheeky and has a dig at the competition. They say ”AI Content Writing Platform. Research, Write and Optimize Web Content. Advanced AI-powered writing and researching platform to create high-quality SEO-optimized content in a fraction of the time.” Prices are affordable starting from $39usd per month to $159usd per month.
Small Business AI Content Generators for SEO
I personally use Closerscopy for AI Content Generation. The owner Nico Engler is one smart cookie. His customer service is impeccable and the tools available I can’t fault. You can even create your own smart workflows and Frameworks for whatever you want to write content for. When I first stumbled across Closerscopy I nearly fell off my seat as I came across an unlimited price with no more to pay. Yes, you heard right no more to pay. The UX behind Closerscopy some say has a bit to answer for, but I love it! It’s a bit like Google docs, simple and easy to navigate! Anyway, I just gave away the biggest changer for ranking high on Google 🙂
The best AI Content Generators:
- Closerscopy.com – My statement above says it all. Closerscopy says ”Transform your ideas into engaging blogs and irresistible marketing copy. Join the world’s leading copywriting platform.” Prices start from $29usd per month to $79usd per month. If you’re lucky you might find yourself an unlimited deal 🙂
Image of Closerscopy Homepage
- Jarvis.ai – Jarvis is widely recognised and to be honest I like it. They say ”Meet Jarvis, The Future of Writing. Sales Emails. Video Scripts. Google Ads.” Prices start from $24usd per month to $99usd per month to write unlimited content.
Image of Jarvis.ai Homepage
- Copy.ai – ”Faster, Fresher, Better Copy. Introducing the end of writer’s block. With CopyAI’s automated creativity tools, you can generate marketing copy in seconds.” is what Copy.ai states on their website. Prices start from $35usd per month to a custom deal that I’m unsure what the cost is. I haven’t used Copy.ai, but I think I might give it ago after this research.
- Writesonic.com – I have used Writesonic and felt comfortable creating content with it. Writesonic says they ”Write Better Marketing Copy, Effortlessly. Say goodbye to writer’s block. With Writesonic’s AI-powered writing tools, you can generate high-performing Ads, Blogs, Landing Pages, Product Descriptions, Ideas and more in seconds.” For agencies, prices start from $15usd per month to $195usd per month.
Here are a few more for your own research:
For small business SEO services is not just about ranking high on Google and other search engines. It’s about creating a product or service that your customers become raving fans of and love. If you can do this you will create the art and science of local SEO. Small businesses need to be smart about their search engine optimization strategy and marketing in order to grow traffic and receive more leads to their website.
I wish you the best of luck in ranking high on Google. See you at the top. If you still feel confused consider one of our customised small business SEO packages.
I welcome any comments or feedback on this long, but I hope informative post.
Lead SEO Growth
Warm-up Activity from the start of the Blog Post
Final Step: Did you place your hand on your chin or did you do what most people do and place it on your cheek? Did you notice the photo displayed a person placing it on their cheek? This test was run to draw people’s attention to be focused and distraction-free. I want everyone to come away from this talk motivated to improve SEO for their small business.
Hit the SCROLL button on the right to scroll back to the top. Thanks for being involved. Now let’s learn some SEO tips.
Enjoyed the article?
Reach out if you have any questions.